Scholarship Position Description
Senior Leadership – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2022-2023. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget.
The Student Media Council selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Editor of Wasatch Magazine.
ATTENTION: This position requires a significant time commitment. If you are chosen and accept this position, it will be expected that you can satisfactorily meet the time commitment necessary. This means that you agree to not accept other positions outside of student media or otherwise make commitments that will impact your ability to meet this expectation.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital and print media, in particular the operations Wasatch Magazine.
- Ensure the website is regularly updated with new content and maintained to reflect current projects and print content.
- Work with the production team to produce monthly print issues, transfer content, share photos, determine placement, headlines, features, etc.
- Complete final edits on all Wasatch Magazine content for digital and monthly issues.
- Work with Wasatch Platform Manager to ensure stories are publicized via Facebook and Instagram, and check socials to ensure updates are taking place and fit with Wasatch style.
- Meet regularly with Wasatch students to discuss any new information, air grievances, analyze the latest published/digital issue, discuss deadlines, and plan for upcoming stories and photos.
- Interview and select new student interns/contributors for Wasatch Magazine and oversee all scholarship recipients.
- Demonstrate to the Director of Student Media the results of group participation and how goals/outcomes were met.
- Attend all Executive Leadership meetings, guest lectures, and skill development workshops as outlined by the Director of Student Media.
- Attend at least one monthly meeting with the Council and at least one monthly meeting with the Graduate Advisor.
- Meet the expectations of the position description as outlined in the bylaws of the Student Media Council and report regularly to the Council.
- Must be an outdoor enthusiast.
- Previous work and/or education and training in magazine writing or journalism, specifically in outdoor content. Preference given to applicants with prior experience at Wasatch.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, reviews, etc.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in digital and print publishing.
- Experience or knowledge of media marketing and content distribution, particularly in the fields of social media and community outreach.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Content management, audience engagement, editing, or other similar experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
The scholarship will be awarded according to a selection procedure established by the Student Media Council. Applications will be accepted until January 26, 2021. Applicants will be invited to meet with the current scholarship recipient and shadow the position. The Council will review initial applications and conduct an interview process during February. Selection of the scholarship recipient will be finalized by February 25, 2022. The experiential learning term is May 2022 through April 2023. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.