Scholarship Position Description
This position is awarded a scholarship for 2023-2024. All scholarships are determined by position, time, commitment, responsibility, and financial budget. The editor of Wasatch Magazine selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Assistant Editor.
ATTENTION: This position requires a significant time commitment. If you are chosen and accept this position, it will be expected that you can satisfactorily meet the time commitment necessary. This means that you agree to not accept other positions outside of student media or otherwise make commitments that will impact your ability to meet this expectation.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital and print media, in particular the operations of Wasatch Magazine
- Assist in overseeing the print and website publishing of all content, including overseeing the quality of all content published, finalizing each print issue (copy editing, layout, etc.) and overseeing distribution of the magazine, promotion of all content, social media content and engagement, etc.
- Oversee production team to produce print issues including the following: enforce timelines and deadlines, content transfer, photo sharing, placement of all art, final headline approval
- Oversee digital publishing to ensure the website is updated regularly with new content and maintained to reflect current projects
- Contribute content as appropriate, both in print and digital formats
- Provide input on setting goals for the publication and participate in regular review of progress towards reaching goals
- Provide input on the overall theme and artistic quality of the print magazine and its digital content
- Management of magazine team members – writers, editors, designers, photographers, videographers, and other positions as determined by the editor-in-chief.
- Attend leadership training and meetings and assist in organizing and scheduling proper training for all contributors of the magazine
- Coordinate with and train copy editors and designers in magazine style, procedures, and expectations
- Complete any additional tasks under the direction of the editor-in-chief
- Must be an outdoor enthusiast.
- Previous work and/or education and training in magazine writing or journalism, specifically in outdoor content. Preference given to applicants with prior experience at Wasatch.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, reviews, etc.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in digital and print publishing.
- Experience or knowledge of media marketing and content distribution, particularly in the fields of social media and community outreach.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Content management, audience engagement, editing, or other similar experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
Use this form to apply now:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com