Scholarship Position Description
Podcast (Utecast) Audio Executive Leadership – $10,000 scholarship for 2022-2023 academic year. ($5,000 Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 – if the position is active during the Summer semester a scholarship amount will be determined and awarded for that semester)
The Student Media Council selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as the head producer of Utecast.
ATTENTION: This position requires a significant time commitment. If you are chosen and accept this position, it will be expected that you can satisfactorily meet the time commitment necessary. This means that you agree to not accept other positions outside of student media or otherwise make commitments that will impact your ability to meet this expectation.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital media, in particular, the operations of Utecast Audio.
- Guide a content development process that allows audio/podcast entertainment platforms to grow including overseeing and working with the leaders of OurStor1es, Geekwave, and local music, as well as any collaborations.
- Understand, shape, and effectively communicate the vision/mission/strategy of Student Media as a whole and the vision/mission/strategy of entertainment platforms to all scholarship recipients within Utecast.
- Establish and foster an organizational culture for entertainment platforms that focuses on collaboration, innovation, and creativity in content creation and distribution.
- Lead the development of new student media entertainment platforms
- Train with the outgoing scholarship recipient to understand the current focus and direction of Utecast.
- Oversee all scholarship recipients within Utecast.
- Establish, in consultation with Senior Leadership, group experiential learning goals/outcomes for each semester.
- Demonstrate to the Director of Student Media the results of group participation and how goals/outcomes were met.
- Attend all Executive Leadership meetings, guest lectures, and skill development workshops as outlined by the Director of Student Media.
- Attend at least one monthly meeting with the Council and at least one monthly meeting with the Graduate Advisor.
- Meet the expectations of the position description as outlined in the bylaws of the Student Media Council and report regularly to the Council.
- Previous work and/or education and training in broadcasting, podcasting, or audio/video production. Preference is given to applicants with prior experience in Student Media entertainment platforms.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, business, and journalism.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary equipment and software used in the broadcasting process.
- Experience or knowledge of media marketing and content distribution, particularly in the fields of social media and community outreach.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in mass communication, broadcast, film, and media, strategic communication, or similar preferred.
The scholarship will be awarded according to a selection procedure established by the Student Media Council. Applications will be accepted until January 26, 2022. Applicants will be invited to meet with the current scholarship recipient and shadow the position. The Council will review initial applications and conduct an interview process during February. The selection of the scholarship recipient will be finalized by February 25, 2022. The experiential learning term is May 2022 through April 2023. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.