The Daily Utah Chronicle – Multimedia Managing Editor
Senior Leadership scholarship position – This position is awarded a scholarship for the 2023-2024 academic year. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Josh Petersen- [email protected]
The Editor-in-Chief selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as the Multimedia Managing Editor of The Daily Utah Chronicle.
Expectations & Duties:
- Oversees daily multimedia and social media content production across the Chronicle. Sets expectations and goals for multimedia and social media production in conjunction with executive leadership and student media advisors.
- Oversees the chronicles existing podcasts and works to maintain and hire new teams.
- Works to build a team for video content at the chronicle.
- Communicates and encourages communication between and among all staff members regarding multimedia content. Especially works to bridge gaps between desk editors, digital team, producers, and the social media team regarding story content and sharing. Acts as a third party, along with the executive editor, to solve any disputes that may arise.
- Creates and manages the multimedia budget and coordinates each desk’s stories during Editorial Board. Uses Slack consistently for workflow process.
- Runs editorial board alongside the Editor-in-Chief. Represents all multimedia and social media content in editorial board and addresses specific recurring errors on the website or photos with the appropriate desk editor.
- Streamline questions to appropriate sources, including, but not limited to, desk editors, writers, and the Editor-in-Chief. Partners with desk editors in matters of content change that could change the story’s focus, voice or purpose.
- Ensure content is published on social media in a timely manner. Oversees the general vision for social media and online engagement.
- In case the executive editor must leave town or cannot come to The Chronicle for some other reason, acts as a backup and has the final say in all matters for multimedia and social media content.
- Oversees the Chronicle’s multimedia and social media platforms and moderate’s comments.
- Looks at The Chronicle’s website and print editions regularly and brings any problems to the attention of the executive editor and online managing editor.
- Works with the executive leadership to plan and execute Chronicle-wide initiatives.
- Previous experience and/or education and training in business or product management.
- An interest in or experience with journalism/news/media is preferred.
- Willingness to familiarize self with the platform, platform leadership, and the content of the platform. Preference is given to applicants with prior experience in the platform.
- Experience in working with or managing others and in leading a team.
- Computer proficiency and ability/willingness to learn new programs and software.
- Experience or knowledge of marketing, brand management, audience growth, and engagement. If applicant does not have this type of experience, a willingness to study and learn is required.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in business, strategic communication, management, marketing, or similar preferred.
Applicants for this position will be reviewed during spring 2023 and interviews will be scheduled by the Editor-in-Chief. The position is open until filled.
The experiential learning term is May 2023 through April 2024. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.