Managing Editor Position Description
Senior Leadership scholarship position – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2021-2022. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Kody Carbone – k.ca[email protected] or (801) 581-6397.
The Editor-in-Chief selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Managing Editor of The Utah Chronicle.
Expectations & Duties:
- Communicates and encourages communication between and among all staff members regarding online content. Especially works to bridge gaps between desk editors, digital team, and social media interns regarding story content and sharing. Acts as a third party, along with the executive editor, to solve any disputes that may arise. Manages team of copy editors and designers for content.
- Creates and manages the weekly online budget, and coordinates each desk’s stories during Editorial Board. Uses Slack consistently for workflow process.
- Runs editorial board alongside the Editor-in-Chief. Represents all content in editorial board and addresses specific recurring errors on the website or photos with the appropriate desk editor.
- Streamline questions to appropriate sources, including, but not limited to, desk editors, writers, and the Editor-in-Chief. Partners with desk editors in matters of content change that could change the story’s focus, voice or purpose.
- Oversees social media. Answers any questions the Social Media Manager may have.
- Passes off and publishes all stories that come through the copy desk and also manages the online content after copy sees them. Schedules with Copy Chief to make sure the online content has enough eyes on each story to maximize the quality of the content.
- Recruits and dismisses a Social Media Manager. Ensure content is published on social media in a timely manner. Oversees the general vision for social media and online engagement.
- In case the executive editor must leave town or cannot come to The Chronicle for some other reason, acts as a backup and has the final say in all matters for online content.
- Previous work and/or education and training in journalism. Preference given to applicants with prior experience at the Chronicle.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, business, and journalism.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in digital and print publishing.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Content management, audience engagement, editing, or other similar experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in mass communication, journalism, strategic communication, or similar preferred.
Applicants for this position will be reviewed during spring 2021 and interviews will be scheduled by the Editor-in-Chief The position is open until filled. The experiential learning term is May 2021 through April 2022. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.
Use this form to apply now:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org