Design Chief Position Description
Senior Leadership scholarship position – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2021-2022. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Kody Carbone – [email protected]om or (801) 581-6397.
The Editor-in-Chief selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Design Chief of The Utah Chronicle.
Expectations & Duties:
- Responsible for the overall style and layout of The Utah Chronicle. The Design Chief makes style changes and recommendations to make the paper more visually oriented, reader-friendly and interesting.
- Recruits and manages team of student designers to assist in production process.
- Sets the tone of the publication and the individual issues. Must read a majority of the articles to ensure the visuals accurately display what each story is about.
- Fluent in pagination rules and well versed in SPJ code of ethics.
- Works with section editors to set hard deadlines with content, photos, and advertisements in order to send pages in on time. Makes quick adjustments to layout when content or ads are missing.
- Checks proofs after marks made by editors to look for adjustments in spacing, typography, and design. Looks at final PDFs and converts to CMYK before sending pages to the printer.
- Forms relationship with prepress at the printer. Contacts them once pages have been sent to make sure everything came through correctly. Must stay afterwards to make any adjustments or corrections. Must be knowledgeable in troubleshooting with InDesign pages.
- Decides what will be featured on the double truck and front page. Plans out the content with photo and desk editors and delegates tasks to photographers and writers to create these pages.
- Attends ed-board every week to meet with desk editors to plan out visual content. Also brings the dummy to the meeting and offers input on space and priority.
- Works closely with the managing editors to coordinate visuals with content. Together, they brainstorm themes and other content related projects. They layout the physical newspaper together to ensure content is organized with the best visual pieces.
- Meets with the advertising manager weekly to discuss advertisements for print newspaper.
- Receives the run sheet for advertisements prior to publication. Afterwards, pulls the correct advertisements from Google Drive to the week’s folder. Places the advertisements throughout newspaper in a balanced, efficient way.
- Recruits, schedules and trains page designers.
- Delegates pages to graphic designers based on their specific skill set. Determines overall work amount for the day for production desk. Assists them with more complicated aspects of design, if necessary.
- Communicates problems with editorial aspects of design with designers. Must be able to give constructive criticism.
- Designs one long form every week and picks up more pages to design if needed.
- Communicates with Office Manager with page count for plate log.
- Meets with photo editor every week to go over photography for the week. Also attends photo meeting to represent the designers to bring the two desks closer together.
- Schedules professional designers to come meet with the production desk. Typically two a semester.
- Previous work and/or education and training in graphic and layout design. Preference given to applicants with prior experience at the Chronicle or Wasatch Mag.
- Experience in designing for different audiences and platforms, such as print, online, social, etc.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in design process.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
Applicants for this position will be reviewed during spring 2021 and interviews will be scheduled by the Editor-in-Chief The position is open until filled. The experiential learning term is May 2021 through April 2022. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.