Scholarship Position Description
Junior Leadership scholarship position – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2021-2022. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Kody Carbone – [email protected] or (801) 581-6397.
The Editor-in-Chief selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Copy Chief of The Utah Chronicle.
Expectations & Duties:
- In coordination with the editor-in-chief, recruits and maintains a team of copy editors.
- Schedules copy editors and proofreaders so The Chronicle has enough eyes on each piece of content to maximize the quality of the publications.
- Oversees the copy editors. Answers any questions they might have. Streamlines their questions to appropriate sources, including, but not limited to, section editors, writers, managing editors for print and online, and the editor-in-chief. Partners with section editors in matters of content change that could change the story’s focus, voice or purpose.
- Trains editors to spot specific recurring errors in style, spelling, organization, length or grammar bringing significant errors to deliberation with the appropriate section editor.
- Passes off all stories that come through the copy desk to the managing editor.
- Double-checks stories before sending on to ensure that all changes have been made and the pages are flawless and ready to send.
- Ensures that articles get copy-edited in a timely manner, and in to the online managing editor by the daily deadline.
- Working knowledge of AP Style and styles of all Student Media content.
- Previous work and/or education and training journalism and/or editing. Preference given to applicants with prior experience on the copy desk.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in digital and print publishing.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Content management, audience engagement, editing, or other similar experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in mass communication, journalism, strategic communication, or similar preferred.
Applicants for this position will be reviewed during spring 2021 and interviews will be scheduled by the Editor-in-Chief The position is open until filled. The experiential learning term is May 2021 through April 2022. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.