Writing Position Description
The Chronicle has been the independent student voice on campus since 1890. They’re looking for passionate, dedicated students who are interested in joining their team!
Commitment: 5-10+ hours/week. Varies during the semester based on deadlines, desk needs, and assignments.
Scholarship Opportunities: First semester unpaid. Scholarships start to be available in the second semester. Every student is eligible to apply for a scholarship but it will be contingent on overall performance, commitment, enrollment, and fiscal budget. If a student doesn’t receive a scholarship they will continue serving as an intern until scholarship applications open for the following semester.
Timeline: Applications will be reviewed as received. Student positions will be filled/start for Spring 2022.
Student Internship Positions Available:
- News Writers
- Investigative Writers
- Arts Writers
- Opinion Writers
- Sports Writers
- Previous writing experience
- AP Style experience is a plus
- WordPress experience is a plus
- Background in or knowledge of one or more of the following fields: Journalism, Communication, English, Writing & Rhetoric, the Humanities, and the Social Sciences
- Applicants from all academic backgrounds will be considered according to their own unique ability to contribute to the Chronicle, regardless of coursework
- Enrolled at the University of Utah and making progress towards a degree
- Willingness to learn
- Able to commit to the overall hourly commitment per semester including team meetings and training
- Strong ability to participate in a team setting and independently
- Able to meet strict deadlines and manage time appropriately