Scholarship Position Description
Radio Executive Leadership – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2021-2022. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Kody Carbone – [email protected] or (801) 581-6397.
The Student Media Council selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as station manager of K-UTE Radio.
- ATTENTION: This position requires a significant time commitment. If you are chosen and accept this position, it will be expected that you can satisfactorily meet the time commitment necessary. This means that you agree to not accept other positions outside of student media or otherwise make commitments that will impact your ability to meet this expectation.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital media, in particular the operations of K-UTE Radio.
- Guide a content development process that allows entertainment platforms to grow.
- Understand, shape, and effectively communicate the vision/mission/strategy of Student Media as a whole and the vision/mission/strategy of entertainment platforms to all scholarship recipients within K-UTE.
- Establish and foster an organizational culture for entertainment platforms that focuses on collaboration, innovation, and creativity in content creation and distribution.
- Lead the development of new student media entertainment platforms.
- Train with the outgoing scholarship recipient to understand the current focus and direction of K-UTE Radio.
- Oversee all scholarship recipients within K-UTE Radio.
- Establish, in consultation with Senior Leadership, group experiential learning goals/outcomes for each semester.
- Demonstrate to the Director of Student Media the results of group participation and how goals/outcomes were met.
- Attend all Executive Leadership meetings, guest lectures, and skill development workshops as outlined by the Director of Student Media.
- Meet the expectations of the position description as outlined in the bylaws of the Student Media Council and report regularly to the Council.
- Previous work and/or education and training in broadcasting, podcasting, or audio/video production. Preference given to applicants with prior experience in Student Media entertainment platforms.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, business, and journalism.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary equipment and software used in the broadcasting process.
- Experience or knowledge of media marketing and content distribution, particularly in the fields of social media and community outreach.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in mass communication, broadcast, film and media, strategic communication, or similar preferred.
The scholarship will be awarded according to a selection procedure established by the Student Media Council. Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2021. Applicants will be invited to meet with the current scholarship recipient and shadow the position. The Council will review initial applications and conduct an interview process during February. Selection of the scholarship recipient will be finalized March 4, 2021. The experiential learning term is May 2021 through April 2022. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.
Use this form to apply now: