Print Chief Position Description
Senior Leadership scholarship position – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2021-2022. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Kody Carbone – [email protected] or (801) 581-6397.
The Editor-in-Chief selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Print Chief of The Utah Chronicle.
Expectations & Duties:
- Creates the print budgets and schedules a meeting with the editor-in-chief to pass off deadlines.
- Ensures all section editor complete the print budget on time and makes any necessary clarifications.
- Keeps a clear line of communication with design chief and editor-in-chief.
- Schedules production and works with design chief to produce each print edition.
- Passes off all stories that come through copy edits and manages printed pages after the proofreading process.
- Double-checks final files before sending to print to ensure that all changes have been made and pages are ready to send.
- Updates editors during ed board regarding any problems or necessary information for the next edition.
- Looks over The Chronicle’s print after published and brings any problems to the attention of the editor-in-chief.
- Previous work and/or education and training in journalism. Preference given to applicants with prior experience at the Chronicle.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, business, and journalism.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in digital and print publishing.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Content management, audience engagement, editing, or other similar experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in mass communication, journalism, strategic communication, or similar preferred.
Applicants for this position will be reviewed during spring 2021 and interviews will be scheduled by the Editor-in-Chief The position is open until filled. The experiential learning term is May 2021 through April 2022. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.