The Daily Utah Chronicle – Investigative Editor
Junior Leadership scholarship position – This position is awarded a scholarship for 2023-2024. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget determined in April. Specific questions about scholarship amounts may be directed to Josh Petersen – [email protected]
The Editor-in-Chief selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as Investigative Editor of The Daily Utah Chronicle.
Expectations & Duties:
- Recruit and maintain writers in consultation with the EIC. Responsible for making sure their team of writers receives onboarding and proper training prior to writing.
- Train writers adequately in proper style, interviewing techniques, records requesting, journalistic/investigative practices, and Chronicle technologies (WordPress and Slack). Directs writers to potential sources, legal council (if needed) in coordination with executive and news editors. Facilitate research, interviews with sources, and grammar requests.
- Help writers find meaningful and engaging stories to report on.
- Work with photographers on assignments and with production through the layout process.
- Fill out print budget monthly, and online budget weekly.
- Read and correct all copy edits in the given section for grammar, style, spelling, clarity, accuracy, and length, ensuring they are submitted in time to meet both print and online deadlines.
- Write content for the section.
- Come to all editorial board meetings and participate in group discussions..
- Hold weekly desk meetings for planning and training and regular one-on-one training with writers.
- Look at The Utah Daily Chronicle’s print and online editions daily and bring any problems to the attention of the editor-in-chief, and other managing editors.
- Respond to problems or grievances with news content or writers in a timely, responsible, mature manner.
- Manage contributors on desk to make sure they are fulfilling their duties and appropriately working with them to find solutions when they are not doing so.
- Keep track of breaking stories, making sure they are covered in the most timely and accurate fashion.
- Previous work and/or education and training in journalism. Preference is given to applicants with prior experience at the Chronicle.
- Experience in writing for different audiences and settings, such as entertainment, business, and journalism.
- Experience with investigative and interviewing techniques.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in digital and print publishing.
- Experience or knowledge of media marketing and content distribution, particularly in the fields of social media and community outreach.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Content management, audience engagement, editing, or other similar experience preferred.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in mass communication, journalism, strategic communication, or similar preferred.
Applicants for this position will be reviewed during spring 2023 and interviews will be scheduled by the Editor-in-Chief.
The position is open until filled. The experiential learning term is May 2023 through April 2024. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.