Scholarship Position Description
Advertising Executive Leadership – This position is awarded a scholarship for the 2022-2023 academic year. All scholarships are determined by position, time commitment, responsibility, and financial budget.
The Student Media Council selects a student to be awarded a scholarship to serve as creative director for AdThing, a joint venture of Student Media and the Eccles School of Business.
- ATTENTION: This position requires a significant time commitment. If you are chosen and accept this position, it will be expected that you can satisfactorily meet the time commitment necessary. This means that you agree to not accept other positions outside of student media or otherwise make commitments that will impact your ability to meet this expectation.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of advertising, in particular the operations of AdThing and the needs of Student Media.
- Oversee creative work for clients.
- Understand, shape, and effectively communicate the vision/mission/strategy of Student Media as a whole and the vision/mission/strategy of entertainment platforms to all scholarship recipients within AdThing.
- Establish and foster an organizational culture for AdThing that focuses on collaboration, innovation, and creativity.
- Train with the outgoing scholarship recipient and AdThing executive director to understand the current focus and direction of AdThing.
- With marketing director and executive director, oversee all scholarship recipients within AdThing.
- Establish, in consultation with Senior Leadership, group experiential learning goals/outcomes for each semester.
- Demonstrate to the Director of Student Media the results of group participation and how goals/outcomes were met.
- Attend all Executive Leadership meetings, guest lectures, and skill development workshops as outlined by the Director of Student Media.
- Meet the expectations of the position description as outlined in the bylaws of the Student Media Council.
- Previous work and/or education and training in advertising, marketing and/or public relations. Preference given to applicants with prior experience in AdThing.
- Demonstrated design and creative capabilities.
- Understanding and working knowledge of necessary software and tools used in advertising and marketing campaigns.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or previous management experience preferred.
- Must demonstrate strong skills using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in strategic communication, marketing, mass communication, graphic design, multi-disciplinary design or similar preferred.
The scholarship will be awarded according to a selection procedure established by the Student Media Council. Applications will be accepted until January 26, 2021. Applicants will be invited to meet with the current scholarship recipient and shadow the position. The Council will review initial applications and conduct an interview process during February. Selection of the scholarship recipient will be finalized by February 25, 2022. The experiential learning term is May 2022 through April 2023. Please fill out the application below and follow all instructions for submitting the application and providing the necessary portfolio and documentation.