Assistant Business Manager
Description: Student Media at the University of Utah seeks a student to become the Assistant Business Manager of the department. Student Media is the publisher of student-produced media platforms. This position is responsible to help manage and oversee the business and development of all platforms to ensure their success.
This position will help oversee the following aspects of Student Media: recruitment and personnel, equipment, marketing and events, and general office management.
The Assistant Business Manager reports to the Business Manager and is expected to maintain a close working relationship to the department’s other student leadership.
Commitment: 12-15 hours per week
Wage: $8-10/hr depending on experience and performance, reviewed semesterly
Timeline: Applications will be reviewed as received. Student Media intends to fill this position before the end of Spring Semester 2021.
- Assist in all recruitment and personnel activities, including, but not limited to:
- Plan and execute all recruiting events.
- Work with platform leadership to determine recruiting and position needs.
- Manage the recruitment and onboarding process, including conducting initial interviews, making recommendations to platform leadership, etc.
- Provide input and opinion on how to improve recruiting, selection, and onboarding.
- Provide support to platforms that use equipment and assist in the checkout and maintenance process. Each platform should have a student designated to oversee equipment for their team that will help in this process.
- Regularly conduct an inventory of all check-out equipment.
- Together with platform equipment managers, regularly inventory and ensure functionality of non check out equipment in any working space.
- Assist in all marketing and event activities as follows:
- Manage and conduct all primary marketing for Student Media that is recruiting and audience focused.
- Select and assist in purchasing promotional items and items needed for events.
- Plan and execute marketing and promotional events for Student Media as a whole.
- Design and distribute marketing materials.
- Provide assistance and input in branding efforts.
- General Office Management:
- Oversee maintenance and cleanliness of office.
- Oversee ordering and management of office supplies.
- Social Media
- Assist in planning regular social media meetings with social media managers for all platforms.
- Provide advice and help in the management of social media accounts.
- Previous experience and/or education and training in business or product management.
- Willingness to familiarize self with the platforms, platform leadership, and the content produced on Student Media platforms.
- Experience in working with or managing others and in leading a team.
- Computer proficiency and ability/willingness to learn new programs and software.
- Experience or knowledge of marketing, brand management, audience growth and engagement. If applicant does not have this type of experience, a willingness to study and learn is required.
- Must be enrolled student progressing satisfactorily towards a degree.
- Major or minor in business, strategic communication, management, marketing, or similar preferred.